Andy Stanley on How Leaders Awaken the Wonder
I’m live blogging from Catalyst Conference. Catalyst is a next-generation conference that embolden leaders from all over the world. The theme of Catalyst for 2015 is “Awaken the Wonder.” Wonder invites potential. Wonder provides vision. Wonder inspires. Wonder leads us to God. Andy Stanley is a senior pastor of North Point Ministries and author of “Ask It.”
Everything in life conspires against wonder. Life causes us to forget the glorious wonder. When you wake up in wonder, it makes you alive.
Leaders Mandate: To awaken the wonder within to stir and disturb the imaginations of the people and organizations you lead.
Wonder is the catalyst for change. Wonder is always disruptive, wonder is always different. Wonder is like a match and organizations are like buckets of water.
Wonder is as threatening and disruptive as it is inspiring. It is human nature to resist what we don’t’ understand or can’t control.
How to stir the imagination around you.
To awaken the wonder:
1. Keep wonder wide-awake in you.
- Be a student, not a critic.
- “We must pay
- Wonder is on the frontier of your ignorance. If you know everything about leadership, please get out of leadership.
2. Replace How with Wow!
- You must become a leader that “Wow” before “How“
- Don’t shut down ideas but embrace with a “Wow!” attitude.
- Men are attracted to women who go “Wow!”
- Use the phrase “Imagine if we would…”
- “The next-generation product and idea almost never come from the previous generation.” – Al Reese “The Focus”
- The chances are you’re not going to come up with the next thing but you can create a wow culture
3. Add imagine everything.
- Use phrases like, “Imagine a world where every Christian…” “Imagine what would happen in our church…what would happen?”
- Huge power in using the word “imagine”
- They understand wonder is absolutely critical for figuring out what’s next in the world.
- “And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock, I will build my church… ” – Matthew 16:18
Let’s be the generation keeps wonder awake and awakens the wonder in the next generation.