Catalyst One Day Session 3: Craig Groeschel – How to Build Great Leaders
The potential of your organization rests on the strength of its people.
Common question: Where do you find great leaders?
Right question: How do you develop great leaders?
When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary people, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. – Acts 4:13
4 Steps to Build Great Leaders
1. Identify talent that others overlook.
2. Attract them to a vision bigger than themselves.
- You don’t need a big ministry or successful business to attract great leaders; you need a vision worth following.
- Great people are not attracted to average causes.
3. Develop them to go further than they thought possible.
- Don’t just see people as a means to accomplish tasks. See tasks as a means to develop people.
- Watch what I do.
- Do it with my feedback.
- Do it on your own.
- Do something I can’t do.
4. Empower them to fulfill a lifetime of ministry.
- You can have growth or you can have control, but you can’t have both.
- High control = limited growth
- Limited control = higher growth.
- If you delegate delegate, you will build followers.
- If you delegate authority, you will build leaders.
Common question: What if we empower them and they leave?
Right question: What if we don’t empower them and they stay?