How to Radically Change Yourself Inside Out
I am blogging from Atlanta, Georgia at the 2014 Catalyst Conference. I have the honor of joining the Catalyst Blogger Team and, I’m publishing live notes and key insights on the speaker sessions. Speaker lineups include, Andy Stanley, Tim Keller, Christine Caine, Matt Chandler, Charles Duhigg and many more. I hope these insights will empower you to rise to the top.
How do you change yourself inwardly?
If you do not know how to change yourself permanently and inwardly, you can’t change the world. So many Christians leading Christian movements fall short because of character flaws.
How do you change deeply?
Biblical Teaching and Prayer
4 things you need to know about biblical teaching
1. Know the MAGNITUDE of the sin problem.
- Sin is constitutive to my nature. (Romans 7:19-20)
- Your sins are presented a lot smaller than what it really is. (Genesis 4:7)
Every Christian leader needs to read John Owen’s “On the Mortification of Sin.”
2. Know HOW sin can’t be overcome. Sins can’t be overcome by doubling down the acts of will. When religion and morality comes in, sin takes another form. It can aggravate the impulse to be your own savior and lord.
3. Know WHY sin can’t be overcome. Jonathan Edwards said that most people in the world are trying to be moral and it’s a good thing. But in the most cases, they are doing it for themselves. Many are telling the truth because they because of fear, pride, and the desire to control things.
Even though people seem to be living a good life, they’re doing it for very selfish motives.
These people can’t admit who they are. Their self-regard is dependent on how good they feel about themselves. Whenever you fail, you become vulnerable to anxiety and shame.
4. The very structure and identity of our hearts need to change.
- Religious society – you either become prideful or feel utter shame
- Traditional society – fulfilling your role in your family is know you’re a good person. Susceptible to guilt and shame and never can satisfy the parent’s expectations
- Secular society – you decide who you want to be
When you see Jesus Christ losing his beauty to make you truly beauty makes Him beautiful. That changes fundamentally the identity of our heart. How can we over work, we gives us real wealth. It fills us up. We’re not empty anymore. We don’t have to steal righteousness anymore.
4 things you need to know about prayer
1. Do it. Motivate yourself. If someone said you have fatal disease, but if you take a pill before 11pm every day, would you forget? You would never forget that. Prayer is like that.
2. You do it until you engages your affections.
3. Look at your besting sins in prayer. Mortification is key.
4. Be expected.
Question: What do you need to change in your life right now in order to change the structure and identity of your heart?
About the Speaker: Tim Keller is the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan. For over twenty years, he has led a diverse congregation of young professionals that has grown to a weekly attendance of over 5,000. He is also Chairman of Redeemer City to City, which starts new churches in New York and other global cities, and publishes books and resources for faith in an urban culture. In over ten years they have helped to launch over 250 churches in 48 cities. More recently, Dr. Keller’s books, including the New York Times bestselling The Reason for God and The Prodigal God, have sold over 1 million copies and been translated into 15 languages.